Thursday, May 29, 2014

You're never fully dressed without a smile - even a cheesy one

I have beautiful children. I really do. I also have photogenic children. I know I am probably a bit biased on both of these statements, but most mothers are, and most mothers are absolutely right that their children are both beautiful and extremely photogenic.

Well, I will admit my kids are photogenic, until, of course, you point a camera at them – more specifically when that lens is one of a professional photographer. Then they just look like they are in pain.


chandler bing trying to smile


For the first time this year, my son had his picture taken at school. On “picture day” we talked about how he would smile (happy, relaxed), I had him practice how he was going to smile and as we waited in line for the photographer I had him practice a couple more times. He wasn't sad or nervous when he went up on the little platform, he jumped right up there. Then the photographer had him say cheese and this half smile/half grimace came over his face. Click.

So yeah, he has a beautiful smile, one that can light up a room, but for the remainder of this year the 8x10 that is hanging in our living room will show him looking like he's in distress.

That’s how it goes I guess. I am sure many parents out there have similar stories of smiles gone bad.  They do grow out of it as I have recently found out from my oldest.  They then however, start into a new phase. The I-want-to-make-a-goofy-face-in-every-picture-I’m-in phase. That or put bunny ears on their brother or sister.

While the oldest is making faces and the boy is looking like he is smiling through pain, the youngest doesn't want to be photographed at all. I have several pictures of her literally escaping the picture and others where she won’t even look at the camera. When I do get her look at the camera I end up getting one of those super cheesy grins, with all the teeth showing and eyes squeezed shut.

Better than nothing I guess. It’s still cute. Pictures of all of my children looking at the camera and smiling nicely are few and far between these days.

I would like to get some three year pictures taken of my youngest (since she turned three almost a month ago), but I must admit I'm hesitant. I have taken her to one of those places where they take a million pictures of your kid and then try to sell you 15 different poses in various sizes, plus a calendar, cards and of course the CD with every one of the million pictures they took of your adorable tot. All for the low, low price of … well let’s just say lots more money than I want to pay. I don’t need 200 pictures of my child. I love her, but come on that’s just getting obnoxious.

The only upside of those places for me, is that when it comes around the viewing the million and half pictures they took of my little darling, only about two are really any good. The photographers don’t even pressure me into the CD – then know the number of duds that are in there.

So we’ll give it a go with the new three-year-old. After all, I had three year pictures taken of the other two so I know I should.


Who knows, she may just surprise me.

Did this put a smile on your face? Even a painful one? Click on the Top Mommy Blog logo at the top and put a smile on my face. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment