Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Sure I can blather on and on ... but can I write?

Writer's block can motivate you to some really not-so-fun tasks.

Like cleaning your toilet. Or washing the floors. Or cleaning your seven-year-old's desk.

Yes, I have done all those things and more today in my advanced stage of writers block.

But you are writing this blog, you say. So you can't really have writers block.

OK, maybe technically you are right (smarty pants) but see, this wasn't the writing for which I am blocked. The writing for which I am blocked is for a magazine I freelance for. (A wonderful publication called Simply Hers - you should check it out sometime at simplyhers.net.)

To be truthful, I'm not super excited about the topic. Plus the information has been kind of a pain in the butt to gather. And to top it off, I don't have my first line yet. Silly as it may be, I can't write until I have my first sentence hammered out. Sure I try, but it never works. Once I have that first line - it all seems to flow from there. Any other writers (or wanna-be writers like me) have a silly quirk like that?

So here, I sit, typing away, saying virtually nothing, do anything BUT writing that bleepin' story. I cleaned out the kids' humidifiers, which I am ashamed to say have been sitting in their rooms for WEEKS needing to be cleaned and put away. I went to town on the grout in the shower - which I really don't like cleaning (especially when you live in a house with hard water). I even cleaned the kitchen sink for Pete's sake (that poor Pete, he never get a break). I don't mean I washed the dishes in the sink, I mean I literally cleaned the sink. Got out the baking soda and scrubbed it down. I also dusted and vacuumed the entire house - including the basement. Now I'm tired AND have writer's block.

I guess I am proud that I didn't sit on the couch watching TV instead. Believe me I wanted to, but there was nothing good on. I don't care too much about Kim Kardashian or the rest of her famous-for-nothing family, I have been off Days of Our Lives for well over a year now and cooking shows just make me hungry. (By the way, did you know that when you spell check Kardashian you get suggestions for cardigan, dashing and Cartesian?) I am however currently on the time suck that is Pintrest looking at ways you can clean your jewelry at home.

Looks like my story isn't getting done today - maybe after the kids go to bed. Maybe after I have had a glass of wine (or two). Gotta get those creative juices flowing somehow.

Oh well, I usually work well under deadline.

It would really help get my creative juices flowing if you click on the Top Mommy Logo at the top and vote for me. You're the best!

1 comment:

  1. I am the same way with the first sentence! I find that if I don't love my first few sentences, I usually don't get anything worth while out of it. I usually never end up posting anything that doesn't make me audibly laugh out loud or receive the emotion i am trying to get when posting a new entry. 'cooking shows just make me hungry' haha i have that same problem! lol! I used to love watching them with my husband and then learned that it starting creating bedtime cravings which inevitably ended in a few extra lbs and a dirty kitchen every morning. haha Come on over and check out my new site! www.smashleyashley.com

    ReplyDelete