Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Take wisdom from Yogi Berra

My husband has a pretty infamous phrase he uses (and now I use) whenever we have to do something we really don't want to do.

"Just do it, and it will be done."

He can't take credit for it, it was something he learned from a professor in college (a university I won't mention because our house bleeds green).

A little Yogi Berra-ish in my opinion, but effective nonetheless. If you do something, then it will be done. Palm to forehead simple right?

So why is it I choose to do ANYTHING else than the thing I really need to do. Right now I have a sink FULL of dishes that need to be washed. I know that it won't take me as long as I think it will take me to wash them, and I know I will feel infinitely better once they are done. Yet there they sit. Hour after hour. I keep passing them by, sometimes adding MORE to the pile and still they sit.

Instead I have elected to rearrange my dresser drawers, organize my closet and well, um, write a blog post. And while all those things ARE productive (well, except maybe the blog post) they still aren't getting done the one thing I really need to do.

Procrastination, you are my Achilles heel. Or you are just a heel ... either way, you kinda suck.

And so I continue to waste time, finding anything else to do beside the dishes (or in last week's case clean the bathroom) and in the time I wasted do other less important things I could have washed, dried and put away the dishes (or cleaned the bathroom ... you know what I mean). Yet I continue to sit here and write words that bather on and on and not really say anything ....

And you continue to read them ...

Maybe you are trying to find anything else to do except the one thing you NEED to do too ...

Except I must say, reading this blog probably doesn't fall in the category of "productive things to do." Maybe you should clean out your keyboard or update you contacts list instead. And your welcome ....

Or you could just "do it and then it would be done" like I should ... sigh ...

I know, I know ... I'm going .... the dishes wait for no one ....

Buuuut ... my inbox IS a mess ... I really SHOULD clean it out ...

Maybe we should just switch to paper and plastic ...

No comments:

Post a Comment