Thursday, September 12, 2013

Take me out to the ball game

I like sports. I do. I like pretty much any sport. There is one sport however that I watch regularly. And that is baseball.

Actually I love to watch baseball. And my team is the Detroit Tigers. For all of you who don't like the Tigers I am very, very sorry that you have chosen your allegiance to a less awesome team because the Detroit Tigers are awesome.

I will say with all honestly that I haven't always been as fervent a fan as I am today. It was only about six years ago or so that we (my husband and I) started watching the team with any kind of regularity. But we most certainly do now. We watch at least some of almost every game that is on and when we can't see them play we try to hear them play - on the radio I mean.

I have had my Tiger, Alex Avila, for a few years now, my husband has had a few. And now that our kids are starting to get into the Tigers they each have picked their favorite Tiger, too. It's really cute. Our youngest, who is two, really has no idea what is going on so her favorite changes almost daily. Our son used to have two favorites, but now he has firmly decided on Torii Hunter and our oldest is an Austin Jackson fan. (Fun side note, our son for awhile called him "Awesome" Jackson because he couldn't say Austin.)

So, while I hope all of this build up has shown that I am a true blue Tigers fan and a fan of baseball in general there are a few things about this great sport that I find to be a bit peculiar.

And now before anyone goes ripping my head off (if anyone is even reading this), I will admit that I don't know everything about baseball or it's complete history. These are just a few of my observations I have made during my hours of watching the game.

They eat during the game. Yes, I know it's just sunflower seeds (I hope that is all anyway) but still ... They eat during the game. I have yet to see another sport - and I will admit I haven't seen every sport there is - where the players eat during the game. And it's not just in the dugout between at bats and heading to the field, it's while they are playing too. I recently saw Miguel Cabrera chopping on some seeds while he was manning third base. Seems a little dangerous to me. One line drive his way and he's gonna need the Heimlich. I'd hate to see a player go in the DL on account of choking on the field ...

They were jewelry during the game. I know that baseball is typically not a contact sport, unless you are sliding into a base so the chance that someone else is going to get tangled up in your neck ware is slim but still if someone was sliding cleat first toward me I'd hate to have something dangling from my neck. Sure, some of the necklaces they were are supposed to help their energy or their chi or something. To me, it's just seems like a hazard.

The managers where the same uniform as the players. Now before anyone (or either one of the two of you that will read this) goes all crazy on me, I know the reason why they do this. Way back in the early days of baseball, the managers wore the same uniforms as the players in case there were too many injuries or not enough players showed up or something and then they would play. OK, I get that. But I think it would be fair to say that the sport has evolved a bit since then and there is about as much chance of Jim Leland getting out there in left field as there is of a monkey flying out of my rear end. I highly doubt when Leland puts on that jersey every night he's thinking "tonight's the night I'm gonna play." Furthermore I have seen a lot of those managers and quite frankly if there was a circumstance when it would be necessary for the manager to play, I really don't think most of them should. And if that were to happen who would enter the line-up first? Manager? Pitching coach? Batting coach? There are about five different coaches all suited up ...

They still use a corded phone to call the bull pen. That just cracks me up.With all the technology we have these days, the pitching coach still picks up a corded phone to call for a new pitcher to warm up. What is funnier still is that those phones are being installed in the stadium. I could see if it was a older stadium that has been there for decades, but there are new stadiums being built all the time and these phones are being purchased and installed. Millions of dollars are spent erecting state-of-the-art baseball stadiums and they spend $9.99 on the phone to the bull pen. Where can you even find phones like that anymore?

Spitting. Oh, so much spitting. I don't think I have watched another sport where the players spit so much. My husband tells me they do a lot in football and while I don't watch the sport very much or for very long but in my limited viewing I do not think I have seen even a smidgen of the spitting I see in baseball. I'm sorry fellas, but it's gross. I know you think you need to, but I don't really think you do. I mean basketball players are running up and down the court working up just as much of a sweat as you and you don't see them hockin' any loogies do ya? I mean, I know they can't because they play indoors, but still ... every bit of saliva that is in your mouth does not immediately have to go on the ground. It is not attractive ...

Yes, all this may be too critical and yes, it is all a bit silly, but let me assure you, while I may find some aspects of America's past time a bit perplexing or nonsensical, it does not - I repeat, does not - take away from my love of the sport or my love of the Detroit Tigers. I assure you, I will be cheering them on tomorrow night as they take on the Kansas City Royals. Gotta keep that first place spot in the AL Central boys! October is coming soon!!

Go Tigers!


No comments:

Post a Comment