Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Oreo's are a delicacy ... aren't they??

I have to wonder if I am doing some sort of grave injustice to Julia Child by reading her book "My Life in France" while eating Oreo's. (Or my other snack of choice, Cap'n Crunch right out of the box.)

The thought occurred to me earlier today while I was munching on said Oreo's and reading about all the fabulous meals Mrs. Child and her husband Paul had while living in France. 

I don't think my choice of cuisine would make her roll over in her grave as I am am sure much worse has been eaten while reading great works about food and culinary experiences. Nor do I think that I would be an important enough of a reader to cause her that much trouble. And yet, if she were alive, and she knew that "America's Favorite Cookie" was being eaten while reading about all her lovely sauces and wines she would surely at least make a sour face.

While reading her book I feel like I should be sitting in an outdoor cafe sipping red wine and eating a wonderful assortment of cheeses or a a lovely piece of fish in a rich sauce, no doubt chiefly made of butter. 

Somehow lying on my couch while munching the famous sandwich cookie (delicious as it may be) just seems a little disrespectful to one of the culinary greats of the 20th century.

But alas, that is where the book is being read.

It is a very good read, if any of you are interested in reading it, but I feel I must warn you. If you think this book is going to be very similar to the "Julia" portion of the movie Julie & Julia (as I kind of thought) you are wrong. Hollywood took some GENEROUS liberties when making that movie, and while parts of the book are in the movie they are very much different and some are grossly incorrect. I am not sure Julia Child would not have liked the movie at all had she been alive to see it. She probably wouldn't have even have given her permission to make it. (Although I will say that I do like the movie and in particular the parts where Meryl Streep plays Julia Child. I did not care much for the Amy Adams/Julie Powell part but that may be because I did not really care for the Julie Powell character. No disrespect to Ms. Adams.)

I guess  it's really true that you can't believe what you see in the movies - even if is supposed to be about true events. I mean, I know ... I DID already know THAT. I know that there are no such things are Smurfs - even if I do see Neil Patrick Harris talking to one and Shia LeBeouf is not friends with a robotic car named Optimus Prime. (And how bad was his acting in that movie - seriously, just AWFUL!) 

And now you are questioning my taste in movies ...

But the very naive part of me wants to believe that biographical movies like Argo or Miracle or Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2 are mostly if not all true. (Ok, I know that last one isn't a biographical movie - I least I hope it isn't!) I guess if I really want to know, I should read a book about it and then compare it to the movie. 

You know, I don't even have to do that - I know a movie like Argo was all Hollywooded up. I'm sure it was intense, but probably not THAT intense. Still a good movie though.

And now, Julia, back to you. Currently she and husband has moved to Marsielle (I am only half way through and less than a week until book club, yikes!). I am sure within sentences she will have my mouth watering with her cheerful tone and deliciously descriptive dishes. 

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment